Early in 2020, UrbanSitter surveyed dad and mom to learn the way they have been balancing youngster care and work throughout COVID-19. In November 2020, we checked again in with dad and mom to learn the way they’re managing parenting points 6+ months into the pandemic, vacation 2020 plans, and their predictions for 2021.
Parenting Points: Baby Care, Distant Working, Stressors
- Extra dad and mom are embracing youngster care options as in comparison with earlier this yr. 42% of fogeys surveyed don’t presently have youngster care in comparison with 72% earlier within the yr.
34% have assist from a member of the family
27% have a sitter or nanny
19% ship their children to a daycare
18% ship their children to a college
2% have a pod or sharecare
- Baby care continues to be Mother’s duty within the majority of households.
53% of respondents mentioned that “Mother” is their family’s main caregiver
31% mentioned duties are break up evenly between each dad and mom
7% mentioned a caregiver or daycare
6% mentioned dad is the first caregiver
3% mentioned different
- A majority of respondents mentioned they presently require 31 hours of kid care per week. Most dad and mom want youngster care to work (73%).
Different wants embody:
13% to get a break
9% for date nights
3% tasks aside from work
- Work-life has modified for many households since COVID:
87% mentioned they or another person of their family is working remotely or at dwelling
34% mentioned they or another person of their family is working fewer hours
10% mentioned they’ve been laid off or furloughed
6% mentioned their or another person of their family’s employer has closed
14% haven’t skilled a change of their job
- A majority of fogeys nonetheless discover it difficult to make money working from home whether or not or not they’ve a care supplier to assist in their dwelling.
– Of the dad and mom working from dwelling with out youngster care, 87% say it’s tough or very tough to work (in comparison with 70% earlier this yr).
– Of the dad and mom working from dwelling, 57% of those dad and mom nonetheless say it’s tough or very tough to work.
- Funds and training are stressing dad and mom out essentially the most proper now. High stressors are:
21% – Their monetary scenario
20% – Their youngster’s training
17% – Childcare
15% – Well being
11% – The election
7% – Job safety
5% – Different
4% – The financial system
Vacation 2020: How Households Are Spending this COVID Vacation Season
- To journey or to not journey: The vast majority of households are staying at dwelling for the vacations this yr.
59% at dwelling with my family solely
23% at dwelling with prolonged household/mates
9% plan to journey by automobile
6% plan to journey by air
- Vacation tipping: Of the households presently utilizing youngster care (sitter, nanny, pod, daycare), 80% will give their care supplier a vacation tip.
34% will give greater than final yr
54% will give the identical as final yr
12% will give much less.
- New 12 months’s Eve at dwelling: A majority of fogeys surveyed are going to remain dwelling with their household this New 12 months’s Eve (68%), an extra 21% will keep dwelling with a gaggle of household/mates or attend a celebration at another person’s dwelling.
Solely 6% are planning an evening out in town and solely 8% say they’ll rent a sitter.
- Many dad and mom must pull double-duty when faculties shut for vacation break (some are already closed at the least till January). When requested what their employers might do to raised assist them throughout the vacation season once they’re children are off of faculty, respondents mentioned:
24% Versatile hours
22% Paid day off
18% Vacation bonus
17% Baby care advantages
12% Shut the workplace for time frame
1% Unpaid day off
Dad and mom’ Predictions for 2021
- The date evening drought: When requested when they’ll really feel comfy having common date nights in 2021, the most typical (30%) reply was “I don’t know.”
18% mentioned between January – March 2021
22% mentioned between April – June 2021
9% mentioned July – September 2021
3% mentioned October – December 2021
4% mentioned 2022 or later
9% by no means stopped occurring date nights
5% don’t have any plans to return up to now nights
- On their first date evening post-COVID, the bulk mentioned they’ll go to a restaurant.
17% reside leisure
9% motion pictures
- When requested how they’ll deal with youngster care if faculties don’t return to a traditional in-person schedule in 2021, dad and mom mentioned:
30% Half-time sitter
29% Household assist
19% Conventional daycare
16% Pod sitter with one other household or households
15% Personal tutor
9% Digital care
- Maintaining hope alive: 56% of respondents count on 2021 to be higher than 2020.
35% mentioned they’ve given up on predicting the longer term and 9% predict it is going to be worse.
Beginning your 2021 youngster care search? Sign up for UrbanSitter to search out background checked sitters and nannies close to you.